Established in 1853, the cemetery is a 34 acre tract located between Mt. Penn and The City of Reading.
Charles Aulenbach donated two acres of land near the Perkiomen and Reading Turnpike Road in Alsace Township in order to establish a cemetery. The cemetery was incorporated on April 14, 1853 and by that time there were already thirty burials. Additional purchases of land were made from 1862 to 1901 from George Smith, the City of Reading, and the Perkiomen & Reading Turnpike Company totaling twenty-one acres and 107 perches. In 1869 the remains of nineteen people were taken from the First German Reformed Graveyard and interred in the John Kissinger lots of Aulenbach’s.
Throughout the year the cemetery plays host to special events and fundraisers. See the sidebar for event information.